' Types of Awards and Agreements | JHURA

Website Navigation for Screen Readers

Click to Return to Homepage

Types of Awards and Agreements


The Johns Hopkins University will accept unrestricted gifts, and gifts for specific programs and purposes, provided that such gifts are not inconsistent with its stated mission, purpose, and priorities. The university will not accept gifts that violate the terms of the corporate charter, are unduly burdensome to administer, pose an unacceptable risk of liability to Johns Hopkins, benefit a specified Johns Hopkins employee or student, or that are for purposes outside the mission of Johns Hopkins.

Learn more.


Financial assistance mechanism providing money, property, or both to an eligible entity to carry out an approved project or activity. A grant is used whenever the grantor anticipates no substantial programmatic involvement with the recipient or grantee during performance of the financially assisted activities.

A Grant is distinguished from a cooperative agreement in that it does not provide for substantial involvement between the grantor or pass-through entity and the recipient or grantee in carrying out the activity contemplated by the award.


An agreement creating obligations enforceable by law, typically where one entity is paying an amount of money for a specific deliverable(s) without substantial involvement of the paying entity.  There are many types of contracts, particularly in the federal or state government context.  Please see the link below to Cornell University Law School’s Legal Information Institute for a good definition of ‘contract’.

Learn more.


An award provided by a pass-through entity to a subrecipient for the subrecipient to carry out part of an award received by the pass-through entity.  A subaward may be provided through any form of legal agreement, including an agreement that the pass-through entity considers a contract.

Consulting (Professional Practices Services) Agreement

An agreement providing for an individual, typically JHU faculty, who provides professional advice or services in line with the JHU mission as a not for profit educational institution, for a fee.

Memorandum of Understanding (MOU)

A memorandum of understanding (MOU or MoU) is a formal agreement to establish official partnerships or collaborations. MOUs are not legally binding but they carry a degree of seriousness and mutual respect.  JHU prefers to enter into another type of more formal agreement, as MOUs, even if stated as not legally binding, may be interpreted as such.

Non-Disclosure Agreement (NDA) or Confidentiality Agreement (CDA)

A confidentiality agreement (also called a nondisclosure agreement or NDA) is a legally binding contract in which a person or business promises to treat specific information as confidential or proprietary and not to disclose this information to others without proper authorization.

Material Transfer Agreement

A legal document defining the conditions under which research or other materials, or data, can be transferred and used among the parties, including research laboratories.

Data Use and Transfer Agreement (DUA)

A contractual agreement used to transfer non-public or otherwise restricted data from one party to another.  DUAs memorialize the terms and conditions upon which the data will be transferred, including the ways in which the data may be used and how it must be protected.

Rotation/Affiliation Agreement

An agreement providing for a student, or over time various students, to temporarily work with another entity, typically as part of their JHU study or work.

Vendor/Service Agreement

An agreement whereby JHU is seeking to purchase and own the goods or services, typically as part of an overall sponsored award.  JHU Purchasing will handle the majority of these agreements, however determining when an entity is a subrecipient vs. a vendor/contractor requires careful consideration.  Please see the link below to learn more about JHU Purchasing, and click here to for the Sub vs. Vendor Quick Guide.

Learn more.

Secondment Agreement

This agreement provides for an employee to temporarily transfer to another job for a defined period of time for a specific purpose, to the mutual benefit of all parties. A secondment job can be full-time, part-time or job share.

Clinical Trial Agreement

The Clinical Trial Agreement is a document used between JHU and an outside party to define the terms and conditions associated with the conduct of a clinical trial.

JHURA has model template agreements available for research collaborations, contractual professional practice services, and memoranda of understanding.  Use of the University’s model agreements is strongly preferred and recommended by the University’s research administration offices.  Please reach out to your research administration contact to discuss options and available templates available, as use of a JHU template will help to expedite finalizing the agreement.

Learn more about Issues in Sponsored Agreements


Johns Hopkins University
Research Administration

1101 E. 33rd Street, C310
Baltimore, MD 21218

(443) 927-3073
Email: jhura@jhu.eduSend an email to jhura@jhu.edu

  • Contact Us

    • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
  • Website Footer Navigation