' Frequently Asked Questions about Proposal Development | JHURA

Website Navigation for Screen Readers

Click to Return to Homepage

Frequently Asked Questions about Proposal Development

  • How do I set up a National Science Foundation (NSF) FastLane account?

    NSF now allows self-registration for a FastLane account. For a demonstration, please view this Video Tutorial from NSF. Frequently Asked Questions about setting up an account for FastLane are answered Here. If you have any questions, please contact your assigned Grants Associate.

  • I cannot remember my eRA Commons password, how do I obtain a new one?

    Contact your assigned Grants Associate who can go into eRA Commons and re-set your password for you. A generated email from eRA Commons will be sent to you automatically with a link to create a new password.

  • Is cost sharing allowed on my proposal?

    It depends. For Federal Agencies, the answer is almost always no unless specifically required in the program announcement.  All sponsors asking for a cost share commitment, approval needs to follow your schools cost share approval policy.  If you are unclear of your schools policy please contact your JHURA representative.

  • What are the current Federal Facilities and Administrative rates (F&A) for JHU?

    You can click on the link here to see JHU’s latest Negotiated Indirect Cost Rate Agreement (“NICRA”) which includes the current F&A rates for the University. *Anticipated rates for fiscal years not listed on the rate agreement should not be used for proposal budgeting.

  • What are the minimum requirements for a Fibi record?

    Please see the link to our policy here.

  • What is JHURA’s Proposal Submission Policy?

    The complete and final proposal, including all the necessary School-level approvals, certifications and representations, as well as any other attachments or approvals required by the sponsor or the University, must be received by JHURA at least three (3) full business days prior to the sponsor’s due date.

    See the full policy here.

  • Who is authorized to execute sponsored agreements for the university?

    Alexandra M. Albinak, Associate Vice Provost for Research Administration, and certain delegates within JHURA, have the authority to sign agreements relating to research and related services conducted under JHURA purview, including without limitation: contracts, grants, cooperative agreements, subcontracts and contracts for goods or services that support such research activities at the University.

  • Who is eligible to serve as Principal Investigator (PI) in a proposal?

    Eligibility varies by School. Generally speaking, Professor Track faculty, Scientist Track faculty and, in some cases, Research Associate Track faculty can be listed as Principal Investigator (PI) on projects. Post-docs can only be listed as PI on post-doc fellowships. Graduate students cannot be PIs on proposals or awards. Contact your JHURA Associate for more information.

  • Who should be listed as the Authorized Official on my proposal?

    In most cases it can be your JHURA Grants or Contracts Associate. If the authorized official will also be the person responsible for signing the award then you should list:

    Alexandra M. Albinak, MBA, JD

    Associate Vice Provost for Research Administration

    Johns Hopkins University Research Administration (JHURA)

  • Who should I contact for an NIH eRA Commons account?

    You will need to fill out the eRA Commons Access Request form and submit it to your department’s assigned JHURA Grants Associate.



Johns Hopkins University
Research Administration

1101 E. 33rd Street, C310
Baltimore, MD 21218

(443) 927-3073
Email: jhura@jhu.eduSend an email to jhura@jhu.edu

  • Contact Us

    • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
  • Website Footer Navigation