' Non-funded agreements vs. Funded Agreements | JHURA

Website Navigation for Screen Readers

Click to Return to Homepage

Non-funded agreements vs. Funded Agreements

How to distinguish non-funded agreements from funded agreements

Funded agreements provide funds to JHU for sponsored activity – whether it be faculty research or research-related services, accompanied by various terms or conditions of the sponsor.  If there are questions as to whether a funded agreement is a gift or a sponsored activity, please reach out to JHURA.  For reference, please see JHU Policy SP005, “Gifts and Private Sponsored Agreements”

Non-funded agreements are agreements that address specific needs related to sponsored projects, but have NO associated external funding support.

A non-funded agreement can be part of a larger funded grant; however, the non-funded agreement will not contain any funding. When you select non-funded agreements, please note that the term “sponsor” refers to the name of the other party, not the larger grant’s funded sponsor. If this occurs, you can make reference to the larger grant, but the IPN is not required.

Examples of unfunded agreements include:

  • Confidential Disclosure/Non-Disclosure Agreement (CDA/NDA)
  • Data Use Agreement (DUA)
  • Equipment Loan Agreement (ELA)
  • Memorandum of Understanding (MOU)
  • Teaming Agreement (TA)
  • Unfunded Collaboration Agreement (UCA)

Non-disclosure agreement (NDA) Also known as a confidentiality agreement (CA), confidential disclosure agreement (CDA), or proprietary information agreement (PIA).

A contractual agreement between at least two parties that outlines confidential material or information that the parties wish to share with one another for certain purposes (typically to collaborate on a proposal or to engage in a potential sponsored research agreement).

Data Use Agreement (DUA)- A contractual agreement used for the transfer of data that has been developed by nonprofit, government or private industry, where the data is nonpublic or is otherwise subject to some restrictions on its use.

Equipment Loan Agreement (Bailment or ELA)- A contractual agreement placing property in the custody and control of another, in which the holder (bailee) is responsible for the safekeeping and return of the property.

Teaming Agreement (TA)– A contract between two or more parties (Team Members) that is used to regulate the rights and obligations where one of them pursues research funding via a formal proposal to a prime Sponsor.

Memorandum of Understanding (MOU)- An agreement between two or more parties. Unlike a contract, however, an MOU need not contain legally enforceable promises. While the parties to a contract must intend to create a legally binding agreement, the parties to an MOU may intend otherwise.

Unfunded Collaboration Agreement (UCA)- A contract agreement for research collaboration between two or more parties where no funding is involved but the parties wish to outline roles and responsibilities in conduct of the collaborative activities.

Secondment Agreement: This agreement provides for an employee to temporarily transfer to another job for a defined period of time for a specific purpose, to the mutual benefit of all parties. A secondment job can be full-time, part-time or job share. These may contain funding, but they will be processed as a non-funded agreement in JHURA.


Johns Hopkins University
Research Administration

1101 E. 33rd Street, C310
Baltimore, MD 21218

(443) 927-3073
Email: jhura@jhu.eduSend an email to jhura@jhu.edu

  • Contact Us

    • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
  • Website Footer Navigation