' Visa Application Export Control Screening | JHURA

Website Navigation for Screen Readers

Click to Return to Homepage

Visa Application Export Control Screening

Export Control Screening Required for Certain Visa Applications

H, L, and O Visa Applications Require and Export Control Certification.

The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service’s Petition for a Nonimmigrant Worker (USCIS Form I-129) must be used to petition for a prospective, foreign employee’s H, L, or O visa.  Part 7 of the I-129 requires a Certification Regarding the Release of Controlled Technology or Technical Data to Foreign Persons in the United States.  Here is what Part 7 looks like:

Even if a visa authorizes a foreign person to work at JHU, depending upon the person’s citizenship(s) and other factors, a license may be required to release certain technical information to them.  I-129, Part 7 requires that we anticipate whether such a license will be required, prior to issuance of the visa.

How Visa-Related Export Control Screening Works at JHU

  1. A Hopkins department, institute, etc., decides that it would like to employ a particular foreign person.
  2. The department notifies the Office of International Services (OIS) that it intends to hire the foreign person.
  3. If OIS determines that an H-1B, H-1B1 (Chile & Singapore), L-1, or O-1A visa will be needed to hire the foreign person, it will make available to the department training and resources needed to initiate and complete the process of procuring visas for prospective employees (such as the iHopkins portal and its various eforms).
  4. iHopkins will prompt departmental users to download, complete, and submit an eform that the Export Control and Facility Security Office (ECO) will use to decide how I-129, Part 7 should be answered. PLEASE NOTE that the ideal person to complete the eform (the “Certifier”) is one who is in the best position to anticipate and monitor the work of the visa beneficiary/future employee.

If needed, ECO will contact the Certifier and request supplementary information.

  1. ECO will advise OIS as to how I-129, Part 7 should be answered. ECO will work with the department to procure any licenses that will be needed to facilitate anticipated, informational exchanges with the visa beneficiary.
  2. Once all forms required for the visa request have been completed and compiled by OIS (including the required export control eform), OIS will submit the I-129 to USCIS.


Johns Hopkins University
Research Administration

1101 E. 33rd Street, C310
Baltimore, MD 21218

(443) 927-3073
Email: jhura@jhu.eduSend an email to jhura@jhu.edu

  • Contact Us

    • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
  • Website Footer Navigation